Software & Apps in the LLC
Software in the Labs
This software is located on computers in the LLC, as specified.
- Adobe CS6 (in Lab 3): Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Adobe Audition, Media Encoder, Encore, Prelude, Speedgrade, Bridge, Flash Professional
- Anki - A free flashcard program that supports images, audio, videos and scientific markup
- Audacity - A free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder.
- Barron's TOEL iBT - Users can practice for their TOEL exam and test their knowledge on English vocabulary.
- Garageband - Audio and music "creation studio"
- Gimp - GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
- Goldvarb - Key methodological tool of variationist sociolinguistics
- Heinle Picture Dictionary - Review English vocabulary grouped by setting and usage. You can hear words and how to use them in different sentences by clicking on the pictures.
- iBooks Author - iBooks creation tool for iPad and Mac
- iMovie - Easy-to-use video editor
- IPA Palette 2.2.1 - IPA Palette is a Unicode input method for the Mac. It allows users of OS X 10.5 and later to insert International Phonetic Alphabet symbols in any Unicode-enabled text field or editor.
- iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) - Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software for the Mac
- Jing® - Web-based software that lets you capture basic video, animation, and still images, and share them on the web
- Longman iBT Preparation - English course to prepare students for the TOEFL iBT test or want to improve their English language skills.
- Office 2016
- RealeWriter Pro - Free book creation tool
- Read&Write Gold - Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with choice of natural voices and more.
- PRAAT - Software for acoustic analysis
- R - R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification, clustering, …) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible.
- Skype - Free video calls
- Soundslides (in Lab 3) - Simple software to make slideshows that synchronize audio with images.
- VLC Media Player- Open-source cross-platform multimedia player and framework, which can also stream audio and video in a number of formats
Computers in the Sign Lab
In addition to the regular software, have:
Software in the Production Studio
- Adobe CS5.5
- Final Cut Pro
- Camtasia - Screen recorder and video editor
- Adobe Captivate
Apps on our iPods
We can add apps to our iPods and iPads each semester. Just let us know at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Angry Words - Play scrabble in Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, or Portuguese.
- Anki - Flash cards that have many card sets for foreign languages. The cards can use pictures and sound, and users can create their own cards using the Anki website.
- Arabic Dictionary - Look up words in either Arabic or English. Learn a random word or a word of the day. Also includes flash cards and some vocabulary game.
- ARIS - Location based gaming used for Mentira in Spanish 201 classes. Users can create their own games, and there are other games located at UNM are available.
- Brasil 360 - 360 degree tour of Brazil. User moves the iPod to look around.
- Brazil Slang - Useful dictionary of Brazilian slang and phrases for travel.
- Capitols - Quiz game on the Capitols of Brazil. Helps students recognize flag, as well as Capitol cities.
- CBN - Portuguese radio, news, sports, blogs and podcasts.
- Climatempo - World weather app that lets students explore the current weather in different parts of the world.
- Dictionary.com - Allows a user to look up and hear pronunciation of words or review a word a day.
- Duolingo - Popular free language learning app that helps students learn languages in a game based environment. Learn Spanish, French German, Portuguese, Italian or English.
- È Gol - Portuguese soccer game.
- FranceTVPro - Streaming television from France with a variety of programs that differ based on what is currently available.
- French Radio - Streaming radio stations and podcasts from France.
- Futuro de Varejo – Future of Retail, a game in which the player must manage a variety of stores. Helps to develop vocabulary related to buying, selling and management.
- German Radio - Streaming radio and podcasts from Germany.
- Google Translate - Simple translations in a variety of languages.
- Hot Radio Brasil - Listen to streaming radio broadcasts from Brazil.
- Pandora - Online music player. Users can find world music stations or build stations around certain artists or genres.
- Pao de Açúar - Grocery delivery app that students can use to learn commerce and grocery related vocabulary.
- Pleco - Chinese dictionary with cross referencing.
- Radio World - News sports and music from around the world.
- Recorder Plus - Audio recorder that let's you import, export and record audio files.
- Skype - Make free calls to anyone in the world with a Skype user name.
- Spotify - Streaming radio where users can build a playlist of songs. Has a large international catalog.
- TuneIn Radio - 100,000 live streaming radio stations and 2 million podcasts from around the world.
- WordRef - Multilingual translation app for simple word translations.